Saturday, March 20, 2010

Interview with Mr Akihiko Arai

Photobucket
The producer of Animal Kaiser himself will be in Singapore TOMORROW, at the Animal Kaiser Fiesta 2010. But right before that, we are pleased to present our exclusive interview with Arai-san, who talked about his career, hobbies and the changing game industry...

A job in games

Joining the game industry was not something I planned for. I was educated in something not related to games – I studied economics! But games have always been my interest, and I don’t just mean playing them. So looking back today, I regard myself very fortunate to be offered a position related to games.

It was a humble start, but something I had always wanted. I started off with NAMCO in 1991, as a ground staff member in a game arcade. Some time passed and I finally became manager of game arcades.

From there, I transferred to the 'Amusement Machine Promotion Department', better known as the Marketing & Promotion Department for arcades.

I love animals (surprised?)

PhotobucketHere’s how I became the producer for Animal Kaiser (International version): When Animal Kaiser launched in Japan 3 years ago, I volunteered to be the producer.

I knew the game well; I knew arcades and arcade players well… so it was a natural step. I’m now working under the 'Amusement Machine Creative Department'.

Honestly speaking I did not expect Animal Kaiser to go this far, although I was confident that it would succeed to some degree. It has definitely been crazy for us, as much as for the fans!

And yes I do love animals.

Growing up in Tokyo

I had a pretty normal childhood, just like most normal kids. Like most boys, I played baseball and rode my bike all over the Tokyo streets. And then I studied engineering, a perfectly socially acceptable course in conformist Japan.

That love for cycling later evolved to my love for motorbikes. When I was still impressionable, I saw a cool motorbike in a TV drama, and that led to a lifetime pursuit…

Photobucket

My role as producer

You must have assumed that I have a list of favourite writers, artists and industry icons; but really, there are no major influencers for my work. I take bits of ideas from all sources. I have only started out as a game designer, so to me, studying the work of all past designers is paramount.

The most important aspect of game design is to know and develop games that players are looking for. It’s as simple as that – they are the gamers, you give them what they want.

That aside, there are other important everyday duties that a producer should do. For example, providing a good environment for the developers to do their jobs well!

Whole families visit arcades now!

The gaming industry has changed from when I first entered it. Today I feel that most people who visit arcades are casual players, not the hardcore gamers of yesteryear. In fact, I even see families visiting arcades for the wholesome fun. We’ve come a long way from when parents forbade children from going to arcades!

How are Japanese gamers different from gamers from other countries? In Japan, players take games as an extension of entertainment. It means if you like a certain comic or animation series, you go play the game version of that product. I feel that players outside Japan are more into the games themselves. They visit game arcades to really enjoy the games for their mechanics and replay value.
Photobucket

To AK fans in Southeast Asia…

Thank you for supporting Animal Kaiser. Without your support we could not have come this far!

We will continue to develop Animal Kaiser, and hope you’d continue to support us.

We assure you that you’d love the exciting new moves and visual effects from a variety of new animals. So look forward to Version 3... and more!



source : http://www.iahgames.com
Written by Editor
Thursday, 18 March 2010 15:46

No comments:

Post a Comment